Friday, July 15, 2011

Guess who weighs 3 pounds

Andrew hit the big 3 lbs a few days ago! We are so happy to get out of the 2 lbs area. I think it is a mental thing. 2 lbs just sounds bad. 3 lbs sounds tough and durable…haha. I was so happy for his weight gain but we have had some real breathing challenges. For the first time since Andrew was born my husband and I ventured out of a 10 mile radius from the hospital. One of us is always with him or near by. Well we thought he is starting to get a little bigger so it won't hurt to visit some family that lives a half hour away. Boy were we wrong!! We had such a great evening and our first home cooked meal in a long time. My husband and I looked at each other when we got in the car and said it was so nice to have a relaxing time. I swear two minutes after we said that the phone rings and it is the hospital. They said Andrew stopped breathing 7 times and needed to be resuscitated twice. We just got a brand new SUV that I'm still learning how to maneuver because I'm very petite and it feels huge. I floor it and try to get back as soon as possible while trying not to kill us. The whole thing was so crazy. They gave Andrew a blood transfusion and went back to the breathing device he had when he was first born. The docs think he just needs some time to mature his lungs. Needless to say we won't be leaving the hospital area for a long time to come! Our hearts always stop when we see the hospital’s number pop up on our cell phones. They never call with good news. So even when we aren’t at the hospital we are staring at our phone praying for it not to ring. You just always feel like you are on edge. You can never relax and if you start to something will pull you back in. I needed to give myself a little pep talk yesterday to get my spirits back up and to keep looking at the big picture. I know we won’t be in this place forever. At some point I will be able to walk with my little guy outside in his stroller.


Ryan Seacrest and Selena Gomez were at the hospital today. It was the cutest thing to see all the kids being wheeled out of their rooms and into the atrium with a team of nurses/docs behind them. A little girl got an autograph and she was screaming how it was the best day of her life. Seeing all the joy on the kids’ faces was amazing! The nurses were saying Ryan and Selena would answer some of the call bells for the really sick kids that couldn’t leave their rooms. Imagine thinking the nurse was going to walk in and in walks Ryan Seacrest. 

Looking at Dad 



Andrew's Temporary Home 









3 comments:

  1. It will get better one day, it will :). The beginning is just SO darn hard. YEAH for 3 pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 lbs!!! Yay!
    Hope things will settle soon. And that day will come.

    ReplyDelete