Saturday, August 6, 2011

I wasn't sure if I wanted to write a post this week. It has been a trying couple of days and I felt like my other blog wasn't that positive. I don't like having two yucky blogs in a row but I want this to be real so here I go...

As I wrote last week Andrew is having severe breathing issues. On Tuesday night the hospital called at 1:00am and said Andrew's heart rate dropped and they had trouble bringing it up. He has been intibated so this definitely shouldn't be happening. They had to put him on an ossilater which is another tube that goes down into his body and literally vibrates his entire body to keep everything going. We keep going through this cycle where he is good for a couple of days and then he crashes. Unfortunately each crash is getting a little worse. All of his blood tests are coming back negative. They tested him for meningitis which involved sticking a needle in his head and extracting spinal fluid from his fontanels. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I don't think Andrew even cried when they did it. Thankfully that came back negative. Finally they brought the infectious disease team in to look at him. They diagnosed him with bacterial pneumonia in his lungs. They are putting him on a 7 day antibiotic cycle. I'm praying this will be an answer to what is happening. It is the most painful thing in the world to see your child struggling. I do feel better that the docs have an actual plan in place on fighting whatever is doing this to him. I'm going to think positive and know we are getting out of here eventually.

My husband also had to go to Texas for training for his job and I won't get to see him until October. It was so sad to see him go. I know it is even more painful for him to go and leave us at the hospital here in Philly. This experience brought us even closer. He has been my strength. I am counting my blessings though and know how lucky I am that he has been able to be with me full time since April. Most husbands here have to come on the weekends or a couple times a month so I do feel grateful for the time we did get.

Anyway sorry this blog is so blah...I swear next week will be happy and positive. I know Andrew is going to kick this thing and be breathing on his own in no time.

9 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that Andrew is having a hardtime. My heart aches for you being away from home with your hubby gone. NICU days are so hard and I cannot imagine being there as long as you have. I will continue to pray for you and little Andrew that the Lord would bring healing and strength to his little body. julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you and your family in KY. Hope Andrew responds to the medication for his breathing. I know how hard it is to be seperated from your husband esp when your child is sick. God is watching over yu and your family. Remember the footprints int he sand poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a tough week. We continue to send prayers for you all. Take care of yourself and know that so many people are praying for you and sending support from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear about Andrew's struggles. I am praying for him and for you and your family. Hang in there friend!!! :) Heather Paich

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear he's been struggling. I'm glad you're getting some answers. Also, I know how exhausting it is trying to be positive all the time and not feel like you're allowed to be down. You're right, this is not positive or negative, this is just real. And it's hard right now. I know it's going to get better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly,I know how hard this has to be for Mike to be so far away. I hope that you all can feel God's love. It is pouring out for you from all over the world. We'll keep praying and you do the best that you can. Adrew has touched more hearts than he'll ever know. Love you,N

    ReplyDelete
  7. N. (anonymous) is right. Little Andrew has touched so many hearts. I sent your blog to my sisters (Arizona,Virginia) and they ,too, are now praying for Andrew's healing. Take care of yourself,too. Jane Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm proud of you for telling the truth even when it's not easy to write about it. It's your willingness to share your real experiences that make this blog so helpful to others. 6,000+ people agree! Love and hugs to you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It takes so much strength to do what you're doing - never feel bad for just being honest. Hoping for a much better week for all you this week. Love ya Kel, hang in there!! Liane

    ReplyDelete