Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I'm sorry for the short posts over the weekend. Things are so hectic but in a good way. My husband came to visit. It was so great because the last time he was here Andrew was really sick. So he looked like a whole different baby this time around.

Andrew has been doing really well with the feedings. He does breast and bottle. He is a little piggy. He also breathes completely on his own. We just have to do a few tests and we will be cleared for discharge (which will hopefully be Friday). I really can't believe I'm writing those words. A month ago we thought we were getting a Trach and going to be in the hospital another 4 or 5 more months. The whole thing is very surreal. I believed in miracles after he was born at 27 weeks but this just really reconfirmed my belief. He truly is a gift from God.

The testing we have left is a hearing test, car seat test and altitude test. The altitude test is to make sure he can breath in Colorado okay. They will put an oxygen tent over his crib and adjust the air to be the same as it is in Colorado Springs. Room air has 21% oxygen in it normally. In Colorado Springs it only has 18%. I'm hoping he will do fine with the small adjustment.

I'm getting a little nervous about leaving which seems absolutely insane. I have been praying, hoping and daydreaming about this for months. I think because I have been in in Philly for almost 7 months and in the NICU for 5 months I'm so used to my daily routine here. I'm at the best hospital in the nation and Andrew is receiving the best care. I guess going from that to being on our own is a little scary. Also the hospital staff has become like family. I will miss the nurses so much. They have been with me through some of the worst and happiest moments of my life. Even on the days they weren't taking care of Andrew they come in and check on him (and me). They truly care about him and get almost as excited as I do about his triumphs. Don't get me wrong though I'm so excited to go. Just a little nervous.

We didn't get a chance to post pictures but I swear there will be some coming! I will post as soon as we find out whether we are getting discharged this week. Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you all. Bringing a baby home from the hospital for the first time is scary,, regardless of whether you have been in the NICU, so I can only imagine how much everything that you all have been thru intensifies that. Try not to worry too much. Even though he has been under the care of the NICU team, you know him better than anyone. Trust your instincts, you all will be fine. Andrew is so lucky to have such dedicated parents. Hurrah, hurrah for going home.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooo happy you'll be heading home soon. I totally understand being nervous to take him home, but everything will get instantly better.

    ReplyDelete